© 2019 by East Great Plain Volunteer Fire Company Inc. 

Designed by John F. Coleman

  • @egpfd

Make sure to like us on Facebook!

Make sure to follow our Instagram

History

The East Great Plain Volunteer Fire Company Incorporated, is an outgrowth of an Air Raid Wardens group that Functioned in the East Great Plain area throughout World War II. The Wardens had studied first aid and fire fighting during the early months of the war and, realizing a need for permanent fire protection, steps were taken to acquire a civil defense pump, which was mounted on a trailer and towed to fires by a town truck. The pump was housed in our first Fire Station on New London Turnpike, a small single car garage. Forty-three men were listed as charter members when the company was formally organized on May 24, 1943. It was accepted as a town fire company on August 4, 1943. The name of the fire company was selected by the members and was derived from Chief Uncas of the Mohegan Indians who named the area Great Plain (the site of Indian battle fields), West Plain, and East Plain. The Fire Company was located in the eastern section of the Great Plain, hence the name East Great Plain. Work on the permanent home of the East Great Plain Volunteer Fire Company began the next month, with completion of a two bay station in October 1944. Over the next handful of years the members realized that the building needed additional work to make it habitable. Today the station is a five bay station due to the hard work and dedication of the members of the East Great Plain Volunteer Fire Company. Today, the department operates with eight pieces of apparatus. The Fire Company is a very efficient, well equipped, trained and dedicated organization made up of the very residents it protects in the strictest traditions of community and helping your neighbor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1/29